Why Become Certified?
Globesity: the pandemic of the 21stcentury
Thirty years ago, the World Health Organization (WHO) had its focus on malnutrition. Today the world is faced with the pandemic of obesity/diabesity, and many other associated non-communicable diseases. The pandemic originated in the US and spread to Europe and then to other affluent nations, before, remarkably it penetrated even the world’s poorest countries. The globesity pandemic continues to outweigh and allude all our efforts to combat it. Today, it is rare to find a family that has not been affected by this pandemic.
Global Need for Bariatric Trained and Certified Professionals
A large body of empirical research and interventions that addresses the full spectrum of obesities and metabolic disorders have emerged into bariatric science. Bariatric science embodies the research, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of obesities and its related biopsychosocial disorders. The emergent global need for multi-disciplinary bariatric science professionals fostered the development of the American Association of Bariatric Counselors.
Recognized Certified Trained Bariatric Specialists Respond to Globesity Pandemic
Obesities have powerful biological mechanisms, psychological processes and social influences. Our international, certified and credentialed specialists are comprised of professionals from both the physical and social sciences; medical doctors, mental health providers, nurses, clinical nutritionists, health educators and others. Recognized bariatric specialists dedicated to the advancement of bariatric science education and to the enhancement of obesity care, treatment and prevention.
Board Certified Bariatric Specialist
- A secure investment in education and career
- Public and collegial recognition of competence, stature and knowledge
- Identifies you as a specialist in the discipline of Bariatric Science
- The public has trusted health professionals that they can rely on and identify as credentialed specialists.
- M.D., R.N., Ph.D., R.D., MSW, M.A., credentials that follow your name identifies your discipline. CBC (Board Certified Bariatric Counselor) credential identifies your specialty.
- Network with International fellowship from every continent.
- Stay current with new published research findings and best practices in bariatrics.