Counselor vs. Educator

The American Association of Bariatric Counselors (AABC) offers two types of certificates:

  • Board Certified Bariatric Counselor (BCBC)
  • Board Certified Bariatric Educator (BCBE)

The Board Certified Bariatric Counselor (BCBC) certificate is for licensed/certified medical doctors, psychiatrists, nutritionists and other heath-care professionals responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of patients in the biological, psychological and social aspects of obesity.

The Board Certified Bariatric Educator (BCBE) certificate is for teachers, professors, school administrators and other education professionals that teach courses related to the study of obesity.

Generally, the distinction between health-care professionals and education professionals is clearly drawn. AABC recognizes that occasionally a professional works in both areas such as a medical doctor that teaches at a university or college. Certification is based on the academic background and experience of the applicant.