Admission and Application Process for Domestic and International Certification
- The Bariatric Certification Program consists of four required online self-paced courses offered in two cycles.
- Both cycles have open enrollmentTuition for each two course cycle is $450 (including $50 registration fee). The course cycles are sequential and fellows register for only one cycle at a time.*Fellows are only permitted to register for course cycles upon application approval
For Employers Underwriting the AABC Certification Program
Candidate Admission Requirements:
- Licensed/registered/certified health or education professional.
- Completion of a master’s degree or doctorate degree in health or education from an accredited professional program/academic institution.
- Currently enrolled in a master’s degree or doctorate degree program in health or education in an accredited professional program/academic institution.
- Nurses (at all levels) and Registered Dieticians without Masters Degrees can also apply.
* If you currently do not have a license/registration or certificate you will be asked to provide your highest academic degree transcript (official transcripts are not necessary)
- Statement of applicant’s goals and objectives.
- If you are a health or educational professional provide a copy of your license, registration or certificate.
- If you currently do not have a license/registration or certificate you will be asked to provide your highest academic degree transcript (official transcripts are not necessary)
- A copy of a photo id such as work id, passport or driver license.
- Two letters of reference, each submitted on official letterhead stationery. At least one letter must be from a licensed health or education professional. If you are a licensed, registered, or certified health or education professional these letters may be submitted post application submission.
- A $ 75.00 application fee
- Submit an application with supporting documents Online or By Mail.
Online: Create an account online. Then, fill out the online application. Upload scanned supporting documents such as licenses, photo id and letters of reference. You do not have to finish the application in one online session. You may return to update information until your final submission. If you have any questions, please contact Carrie Moraites at email@example.com.
By Mail: Download the pdf application for admission to the Bariatric Science Certificate Program. Please put your application and supporting documents in a 9″ x 12″ (or larger) mailing envelope so that pages will be flat for digital scanning. Mail your application, supporting documents and application fee by check or money order to:
American Association of Bariatric Counselors
110 Chestnut Ridge Road, suite 137
Montvale, NJ 07645
Note: To avoid delays in processing, online or mailed application should include all required documents: completed application, licenses, certificates, photo ID, letters of reference and application fee.
Pay $ 75.00 application fee
- by PayPal or a major credit card through PayPal Services.To use PayPal Services, click the “Pay Now” button:
- or by check made payable to: American Association of Bariatric Counselors (see address above)
The Bariatric Science Certificate Programs research-based curriculum is designed to provide students with a comprehensive and contemporary understanding of the best practices for the care, treatment, and prevention of obesities and its correlated disorders. See course descriptions.
The Award of a Certificate
Upon the completion of course requirements and depending on your discipline and education, AABC will confer either (1) a Board Certified Bariatric Counselor (CBC)certificate or (2) a Board Certified Bariatric Educator (CBE) certificate. A framed certificate will be sent to your mailing address. The certificate becomes effective in the month that the AABC Education and Standards committee determines that all academic criteria have been met for Board Certification.
The administrative costs for certification completion including framed personalized certificate and postage are $ 150.00.
The certificate requires renewal two years from the date of issuance of certification. AABC requires the submission of a Certification Renewal Form. The Certification Renewal Form will require 20 CEUs/CMEs of continuing education.
If you need more information contact our Fellows Coordinator: